Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I love to write so therefore I....um, well you get the picture.

Greetings,

I know that sounds like a saying from a cheesy 1950's Sci-Fi film, but hey at least I'm being nice. I figured for my very first post online I would start by introducing myself. I am Jason R. Thrift. (raucous applause) You might ask, what am I doing on here? That's a very good question. The reason I am here is because I love to write. I've written stories of some kind or another since I was old enough to pick up a pencil and jot something down for creative writing time in elementary school.

It has always been a dream of mine to write stories that would entertain people and that they might even find interesting enough to buy. That's the hard part about writing, making it interesting! It's really easy to take a story you have seen and reword a few things just because you liked it, to entertain your classmates and present it in a manner that interests them. Truly, the real entertainment that they receive is the fact that you took the idea from somewhere else that they can relate to. But to generate your own idea, put it down in written word, edit it, re-write, edit again, cut, paste, copy, edit, punctuate, spell check, edit, delete this, correct that, edit, change comma splice, ignore fragment, edit, add commas, put in quotations, edit, and essentially come back out with a story that somewhat resembles what you started with, that's hard.

It's even harder when you do all of that and it still needs work! Uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhh! But, hey, such is the life of trying to be a writer. What makes things more interesting, this ain't my day job. I'm a nurse by trade and spend at least 40 hours a week doing that, so time is of the essence when it comes to writing. You have to make your time, at least that's what I do if it's important to me.

So what else about me do you want to know? Well, I guess for starters, what exactly did I write? I've written two novels, both published by Publish America (I know what some of you are thinking that know them, but it really hasn't been bad at all). One was a science fiction novel and the other horror fiction.

The science fiction novel is entitled The Civilization Loop. It is a story about how people from our present inadvertently trigger a disaster of biblical proportions in the year 2012. Because of this they must journey back in time to the only time they can, for reasons that are in the book, the year 10,000 B.C. There, they inhabit an island in the mid-Atlantic that becomes the cornerstone for the foundations of human civilization. A race of super advanced, ancient people that we know today as Atlantis. The curious thing about this story is not what they create in the past, but how the disaster unfolds and what they must do to correct it.

The horror ficiton novel is entitled Recreant: What are you afraid of? This story is simple, it's about a biological weapon that brings your fears literally to life. The story circles around two young people, a brother and sister, that must run a gauntlet down the eastern seaboard of the United States as the rest of the world unravels all around them. Unspeakable horrors, nightmares, ghoulish assailants and demonic spirits collide in this tale that brings urban legends, myths and ghost stories to life. But there's a twist at the end you want see coming, I guarantee that.

So those are my two books in a nutshell. How they got into a nutshell, I have no idea! But if you like the sound of them, just visit my web site I'll have posted and check them both out. As Ah-nold once said, "I'll be back."

No comments: